Set Sail Learn, our experiential STEM program for San Francisco 4th graders, passed the 4,800 “smiles” milestone during the Spring 2017 Session. Students learned about history, ecology and renewable energy. And buoyancy (some ships floated, some sank) !
725 4th grade students attended one of the 28 Set Sail Learn classes at Treasure Island Sailing Center during our just-completed Spring 2017 session. These youngsters came from 19 San Francisco Unified School District schools.
Each class had the option of studying Ecology of the Bay, Renewable energy or Maritime History of SF Bay. Along with each class students sailed in RS Venture sailboats.
Argonne elementary school studied buoyancy then put their knowledge to a test when they experimented with “ships” that supported the weight of light (they floated) and heavier (those ships sank) objects.
Set Sail Learn classes alternate interactive discussions and study in the activity center with sailing on Clipper Cove.Big smiles from “hands in” (the bay) study as well as “hands on” (the tiller) experience driving RS Ventures. Discussing the history of the Bay is more fun when sailing ON the Bay with the huge cranes from Oakland in the background.
As the Spring 2017 Set Sail Learn session comes to an end, the focus at TISC and on The Cove turns to our summer programs. Registration is still open for selected summer sessions. Check out the schedule and register HERE. Fun times are ahead, and scholarships are available.
Regards from On the Cove, Dave G
In the wake:
You can check out the smiles from last summer’s programs HERE.
Or see more of the nearly 5,000 Set Sail Learn smiles in the posts below.
- TISC Marks Milestone: 3,566 4th Graders on Clipper Cove July 3, 2016
- Francis Sailing Foundation Grant Launches Set Sail Learn December 13, 2015
- I Got to Steer the Boat October 13, 2015
- Now THIS is the life ! June 8, 2015
- Gordon Lau Elementary Maps SF Bay History April 23, 2015
- FSK Students Sail, Play Crab Games On Clipper Cove October 25, 2014
- Cleveland and Feinstein Schools on Clipper Cove May 12, 2014
- JYC Kids’ Crabby Day at TISC October 13, 2013